Thursday, October 1, 2009

Waakye Party "Sunday"

I know I know that I have to write the PAYOLA piece I'll get to it.

So my weekend was great… mmmmhhh!!! Fun, nothing really extra-ordinary but the best part of it was when I heard there was going to be a Facebook Waakye Party on Sunday.



For those of you in the dark, Waakye is a popular Ghanaian dish often eaten as breakfast or lunch. It’s made by boiling rice and beans together (with a great plant dye to make it all pretty). The U.N has hailed it as a combination that can help stamp out malnutrition from the world. Info from: "http://www.africanfoods.co.uk/waakye.html"

So a couple friends and I or is it and Me...lol!!!! brofo y3 den!!!! (English is hard) literal translation but you guys get what I mean.

Well so we decided to get some waakye and see what the whole Facebook waakye was about.... but before I forget Big Ups to Auntie Muni... I miss my days in Labone but I still stay true though I'm no longer in the area.

We get there about 11:30am, trying to get there early so we don't encounter long lines and also beat the peeps coming from church. Smart huh!! Now you know I didn't go to church...

Thinking we would be there early, imagine my surprise to find that the place was filled up almost to the Tullow office in the area, so we had to park around there. The waakye line was also long but eventually it got to our turn.

Wow!!!! I have not seen so many people at one place all going to eat waakye or so it seems.





Any way it turned from a waakye eating activity to a regular Ghanaian drink-up/ party with "waakye "being used as an excuse... very smart idea!!!



I totally get them cos most or every-Sunday schedule in Ghana is the same :( one-way) for everyone:
1. wake-up
2. clean, bath and iron for church
3. church
4. home for lunch
5. fellowship/ youth meeting / sleeping
6. iron for school/work
7. watch a movie
8. sleep

If your schedule is different good for you.

but basically you get what i'm driving at..so i guess it wasn't a bad idea to put some spice in our "boring" Sunday lives.

So what will They think of next? Facebook Omotuo party or Facebook Fufu eating party?!!!!!!

:)

13 comments:

Abena Serwaa said...

*wow* I almost posted a comment as Kwaku Spider..how weird would that be. Anyway, isn't it interesting how an online social network is directing real-life social interactions all over the world? I heard about the waakye party via twitter seems like it was alot of fun.
I like the omotuo party idea! Does Bush Canteen East Legon do Omotuo Sunday specials?

Maame Fante said...

I agree with Abena on it being interesting that Facebook is dictating what we do. I don't think it's a bad idea....(hey I attended the International Suit Up Day. It was "Totally Freakin Awesome"!!!) but think about it carefully....we can't organise our own waakye parties? Do we have to let facebook tell us that it's been a while since we got together as a group and ate? I think it was simply a chance for people who see each other online and haven't really met to get together and drink. Oh and don't forget the Asa Bone!! Eiii!!! Meanwhile I was doing laundry and thinking of my evening mass lol (I need to get out more rofl)

All the same, I think an Omotuo party would be fab. Or a Tatalé and bambara beans party. Bring on the sugar!!!

@ Abena, I think I will ask at the Bush Canteen next time I visit. I do know however that the Coconut grove regency does a Sunday Brunch which involves omotuo, fufu and others with an assortment of juices and of course, palm wine :) Don't ask me how I know.

I'm not even going to ask you how you got a hold of His password but we go crosh sometime bébé.

Abena Serwaa said...

@Maame Fante
I think facebook 'facilitated' rather than 'dictated' the waakye party! Really makes it easy to communicate with a large volume of friends and completely random strangers. Beats texting and calls! As for Asa Bone on a Sunday..mmmm..
I'm all for the Tatale party. Great idea. Do you know any good tatale places? The best I have had so far was some random place in Tema Community 2. Erm... still waiting for you to get online already!

Maame Fante said...

@ Abena, Me? get online? On facebook? Goodness I'd be swamped by a million and one chat requests lol. I've got chat disabled on there. I've got five chat clients on at all times and adding facebook is like signing my own death warrant, especially as there's no way to tell people I'm busy lol.

I think I'll concede to your point about the waakye and facebook. But I still think it's "Interesting" lol.

Tatalé party!!! Wooooo!!! I'd actually come to that. Just give me bambara beans and I'll be happy. I'll get back to you on a good spot lol. I better get cracking on my reviews. Almost done with Noble House ;)Maybe the Tatalé spot will be my second post. We could make it a quest, to find the best Tatalé in Accra ROFL.

posekyere said...

Cool!
Osei, please try your best to update often.
I think I like your style.

Abena Serwaa said...

@Mame Fante: I actually meant your blog but I see you are up!!! Congratulations now post already :)

B.O.N.T.I said...

@Abena it would have been weird if you had posted a comment as me. it was lots of fun.

@Maame Fante please do check up on the Bush Canteen Omotuo special for me I would really love to attend another interesting event.

@Posekyere thanx I try to speed up things

Maame Fante said...

@ Abena. Soon as I can get some time to myself that does not involve sleeping, I'll finish up the post. I'll be sure to link holla @ you when it's done.

@ Bonti. I simply need to sort out my transport issue and find my way over to the place. I think I will pass by tomorrow before I go to Tema. Let's hope they don't think I'm crazy to ask of Tatale lol. Omotuo will be at Cononut Groove one Sunday morning for sure. They do a pretty good job.

Maame Fante said...

alright so I promised to do this. Forgive the shameless plug Bonti. I dey beg waaah.

http://mamafante.blogspot.com/

there ya go. enjoy

costa rica hotels said...

Hello I love your article is very good ... should put more information on your topic
"Waakye Party "Sunday""

Maame Fante said...

Don't you just love SPAM? lol

B.O.N.T.I said...

@maame wat would life be without them

Maame Fante said...

I'm actually wondering why you're leaving them up lol. Down with SPAM!!!